This title has nothing to do with having an IQ of 250 or 700 not does it relate to the number of books you or I might have read.
While reading some leaders biography, one recurring factor is the term inner circle. Great leaders all have a resounding board either to weigh their ideas or just to listen. They never go the journey alone.
Behind every successful man is a woman
Well not necessarily a woman, but there’s someone or group of people who they always share ideas with, someone who they’re vulnerable to.
Pastor Sam Adeyemi during one of his teachings spoke of some very close families who are not necessarily on their level but matured enough to listen to his rants.
Yes rants, we all have our moments and need someone to just listen even if they don’t have any contributions to make or change the situation.
From his teaching, I also learnt that, having an inner circle does not mean he’s not sensitive to understand when he’s grown beyond that circle.
I’m sensitive to identify when we’ve grown beyond that circle, hence a constant reevaluation.
My life took a different turn when I met someone who is like a brother to me , patient to listen to all my rants from business to relationship or family. We could talk well into the early morning sharing ideas, opinions and he’ll never force his suggestion down my throat .
This relationship took over 3 years to cultivate cos he’s in another country.
If you’re reading this, I’m not trying to force it down your throat but I need to ask you
- Do you have an inner circle
- Who are you vulnerable with
- Are they far ahead of you , knowledge , financially or experience.
- Do you ever listen to ideas or just swallow hook lines and sinker whatever you’re told.
Your answers to these questions will determine if you have a Mastermind.
Here are some guidelines in starting a Mastermind group.
This is a summary of the agenda that I use as a guideline to facilitate our mastermind meetings:
1. Start with something you are grateful for. Gratitude is very important in a mastermind group. It is very easy to dump all your negative stuff on people you are close to but this is not the place. The purpose of the mastermind group is to help brainstorm solutions, not vent on everyone.
2. Review what you achieved from the last two weeks. What have you learned that you can share? What is your “aha?”
3. What are your major challenges right now? What can we do to help you move onto the next step so that you can reach your goals?
4. What is your action plan between now and the next time we meet?
5. What are you doing with social media to grow your business?
Mastermind Group should have members who are helpful
During the week that we do not meet. Each member checks in via phone (10-20 minutes) with a partner. It’s important to partner with people who have skill sets that are complementary to one another. For example, you don’t want to have two techie guys as partners. The techie guy will be better served with someone who has excellent sales and marketing skills and vice versa. The same principle should apply to your overall members of the group. For example, I don’t think it is a good idea to have all sales and marketing women in the group. There are plenty of other professional groups for saleswomen to network. It is best to mix it up with gender and professional skills set. Invite people who you think will bring balance, helpful, committed to their business, and is respectful to others.
Apologies for the pronouns in this post, I’m talking to you and I .
In the multitude of counsel , a matter is established.